Friday, February 12, 2016

A Music Box - Series Introduction & Menu


A Music Box (Lid) - Digital (Revised) - © 2016, DS
(click on images  for enlarged views)


"But, then, I had my answer. As I had maintained to myself from the beginning, love is love. Or, if you prefer, all love is Love. Add to this the Language of the Birds - a mystical language, wherein love is a fundamental force as well as an emotion - and we are presented with a new landscape, a new equation. And, in this alchemical Land of Love, all experiences are authentic, and all activities of the psyche are allowed."

- Quoting myself from text which previously appeared here (under the title: The Language of Birds and the Alchemy of Love: A Music Box).


***

Well, it's official: this post has now formally been divorced from its original purpose. But, don't fret, because the series it was meant to introduce has survived and, in fact, has been expanded (!).

You'll note I've updated the music box panel images here. This to reflect the virtual object's present state, which will be revealed shortly in my next post. Also, I'm going to repurpose this post by adding a some music box miscellanea... specifically a video which explores a unique phenomenon created by music box tunes punched into a paper tape as opposed to the steel pins, combs and discs used in vintage music boxes...


A Music Box (front panel) - Digital (revised) - © 2016, DS.

A Music Box (side panel) - Digital (revised) - © 2016, DS.


The video below features Viennese composer Karlheinz Essl performing his 2008 piece for music box which he has punched into paper tape. Depending upon the orientation - that it, whether the tape is inserted into the player backwards , forwards, upside or down, a different tune is created. At the very end he plays the tape revealing the original song.




And, for those interested, here's some music box links I came across during the course of my music box journey: a source for some amazing vintage music boxes, The House of Automata  and The Automata Blog, a source for a collection of miniature music box lockets.

Lastly, the various music box tunes I've been featuring on the sidebar recently, will eventually make their way to this spot.


Previous Music Box Tunes:









______________________________________________



The Language of Birds & the Alchemy of Love Series*:

A Music Box (introduction and menu)

The Language of Birds & the Alchemy of Love (I): The Music Box


The Music Box Supplements:

Supplement 1. The Restoration of Symmetry:

The Restoration of Symmetry - a) The Philosopher's Stone

(The Language of the Birds: A Musical Interlude)

(b) The Tale of Two Symmetries: A Lover's Sigil, A Lover's Cross

(c) The Restoration of Symmetry & The Third Gender


Supplement 2:

Love and a Deck of Cards - The History of Romance


 Supplement 3:

  Music: Love's Transcendent Function


Supplement 4: The Swan People

The Starman & The Swan People: A Dream

The Starman & The Swan People (Part II)

The Starman and the Swan People (Part III): The Second Dream 


The Language of Birds & the Alchemy of Love (II):

 The Beloved


The Language of Birds & the Alchemy of Love (III):

 Dark Eros (or Eros Underground)



* Titles of the (proposed) posts, and/or their order, may be edited slightly during the course of the completion of this series. Links to finished posts will appear when the posts are online.


______________________________________________



Where the Key Was Kept - digital - © 2016, DS








4 comments:

  1. The images are just.....superb. Makes one wish it were a real object. You have outdone yourself - again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, BG. I wish I could carve wood, but it's pretty daunting.

      Meanwhile, I've yet to finish this post, and will probably launch another one before I do.

      Delete
  2. Dia, I could wish that there was some way of 3D-printing these so you could circumvent the business of carving them - and just to have them exist in the actual world! And half-finished and incompleted projects are as much a part of things as those which eventually glint fully-formed in the light of day. Still, I'm sure you'll soldier on to complete the Alchemy of Love. It sounds really worth it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your input, David! 3-D printing occurred to me as a possibility, too... The thing is, I come from a family of cabinet-makers, and all the men worked in wood... so, I guess I just feel lame that the best I can do is create this sort of object virtually... and that articles of this nature seem rarely produced anymore. Well, not that I'm aware of anyway. I've seen a lot of antique music boxes online that are pretty phenomenal though.

      Ah, yes, the Alchemy of Love... seems much too intriguing to abandon... and I really don't intend to. I'm just distracted trying to circumvent one very glaring real-life crisis which is looming in my immediate future. Blogging, alas, does not pay the rent! ;-)



      Delete