Tuesday, July 5, 2022

Interlude


Got angst? I do. I'm coming to the table after a long (unwanted) holiday weekend and cannot pick up where I left off.

Can't do it. 

Meanwhile, I've just found this performance of Ball & Chain by Janis Joplin from Hamburg, Germany (1969) I'd never seen before... and felt it was necessary to share it.

Of all the possessed performers of the 1960s, I think Janis comes in at about #1.

Think she was kidding?

No, she wasn't kidding.

If you're in the mood for more live Janis: try her covers of Summertime and (that great old Chantels doo-wop tune) Maybe.

(Musings 7/27/22: You know you're getting old when Janis suddenly looks like what she really was - just a kid... She died one year after this concert took place. She was 27... or somewhere between 45 and 200. Which is just how extraordinary she was.... an explosive shamanistic force in the body of a self-conscious, perplexed young singer... who just happened to be a girl.)



No comments:

Post a Comment