Thursday, December 14, 2023

Five Spirals for December - #1 "Night Flight" by Michael Parkes


Night Flight, 2015, Michael Parkes. (Geometry: 2023, DS, 2023.)



Well, it's that festive time of the year again... that is, the year's end. December is a holiday month celebrated by cultures world-wide. So, in lieu of presenting new material in the form of the long (dense) blog post I initially had in mind, I decided to present 5 superb spirals recently found in the course of my spiral journey. Think of them as golden greeting cards. In ways they are historical pieces; for the most part (sacred) geometric artifacts discovered, like Gustav Moreau's Venus, in art from the turn of the 19th century. Speaking of historical, the first spiral I ever posted was on Christmas, 2021.

Above is the first Spiral for this year's holiday season. The image first appeared on this blog in a "swan people" post. At the time, it's sculptor was not known to me and the link to the image has since been lost, but when I recently viewed that post again, the spiral in the image leapt out at me and I just had to formally locate it. For some reason, I had always imagined it as a work of a 19th century European artist, but, no, Night Flight is the work of Michael Parkes, stylistically, a contemporary American Symbolist and Surrealist... although both artistic movements and styles are often (presently) referred to as magical realism.

(The spiral inset left is another possibility. I've begun to see these different orientations of the same basic spiral as, not so much artifacts of the main spiral, but, rather, the indication of a superior spiral - that is, one in which rotation of the triangle does not change the spiral's overall character.)

I generally refrain from analyzing the work of living artists, but, in this case... well, it's such a beautiful example of golden art, I felt compelled to share it.* In spite of the fact that Night Flight is in three dimensions and not two, I have recently found that the spiral can still be "mapped" on an object... and, as it happens, the corresponding points between the spiral mechanism and Parke's sculpture are so elegant, I'm getting the urge to put lights on them! Maybe I will; it's the holiday.

(Note: although one can't be sure, it seems that the spiral in the image is terminating around the figure's hand  which is obscured by the swan's wing in the image shown. See this Pinterest alternate view.)

The reality regarding this holiday season, however, is that I would be blind, indeed, if I overlooked the fact that millions of people might not be celebrating any holiday at all this month. My sincere condolences go out to them for their losses... up to and including the illusionary loss of their true spirits. My sincerest wish is that these spirits are found again after this particular ugly period in history has passed, the toxins have cleared, and all of us can live in peace and dignity again... if not for the first time in history. Blessed be.

December is also the birth month of (some of) those unusual people born under the astrological sign of the Sea Goat, Capricorn; those who should be proud of both of their symbolic heritage and the other movers and shakers born under that sign. Oddly enough, Night Flight has origins that resonate for those Capricorns born on the cusp the year. From the article linked to previously:

"Night Flight from Michael Parkes started life as a painting and was later also realized as a bronze sculpture. The subject is a part of a fairy tale that Michael used to tell his daughter about the world of the swan kingdom. In pursuit of the Unknowable, the swan princess is encouraged by the swans to fly. Until ultimately, like Castaneda’s leaping from the cliff, she will learn to shift from matter into spirit and back again as we all must do eventually."

(More below the jump.)




*(Important note: All images with spirals and, either the watermark I used in the past, or the initials I presently use, do not indicate my ownership of the original images or rights of any variety at all. The "G" in my present "stamp" stands for geometry. It signifies that I drew the spiral. Geometry is not "owned" and, in itself, cannot be copyrighted. These images are not being sold, and this blog is not monetized in any capacity. My purposes in initializing my speculative spirals is for-the-record only... specifically, my records, and the understanding of those who visit this blog.

Lastly, in no way should readers misinterpret my "discovery" of a spiral with an implication of the artist's original methods or intentions. On the other hand, while the presence of higher math in an artistic creation might be off-putting or seem calculating to some, the presence of the golden spiral has always indicated perfection... "golden" or "divine" proportions in form.)





2 comments:

  1. We shall not misinterpret your explorations as artist intention...but the subject as a whole is quite fascinating. I cannot imagine that the presence of mathematics in artistic creation could be offsetting at all! Nearly everything, if not all, that surrounds us can be explained in mathematical symbology and this may indeed be the path of the divine. Michael Parkes is one of those rare artists that combine the beauty of the past with the vision of today - his work appears timeless -- it is not frozen in a stasis of style. Through your explorations, I have come to see that if a spiral fits, then the composition of a piece of art is very pleasing to the mind...and this is very astounding indeed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The logos of the spiral is interesting but so is the mythos... and there's a mysterious aspect which hints at a divine (unfathomable) source. My explorations can only go so far.

      Yes, designs in which a spiral is found are, oddly enough, amongst the more pleasing; they have a seal of the infinite... they are perpetually in motion.

      Delete