Sunday, May 7, 2017

Where the Wild Things (sometimes) Are





No, I didn't plan on another "interlude post" anytime soon, but, well, we haven't had one in ages, and, as normal posting is stalled - anxiety-produced writers block again, sorry to say - I thought I'd post a photo or two of the latest visitor to my backyard... and one who just arrived today: a tiny baby jack-rabbit! Well, at least I think he or she is a jack-rabbit, as there seems to be a small community of them in the neighborhood. In any case, I've only seen the one; no sign of any siblings. The little critter was munching on a clump of grass outside the window when I spotted it. He (or she) is welcome to what little greenery exists here!


The hare is pictured in front of a small drain-pipe by the side of the house. The opening looks large enough to accommodate a baby jack-rabbit though, so maybe this one hides out there. Meanwhile, I found another wild thing in the yard today... the one and only flower in my barren landscape populated by the odd patch of grass or a troop of juvenile tumbleweeds. So, I thought I'd post it's photo, too. I have no idea what sort of wildflower it is, but, if I have time, I'll look it up.*

As for the hare, well, I did put out some bits of apple and raw spinach leaves just in case it craved something new. As I'm still trying to move out of here though, I probably shouldn't, but I'm a sucker for little furry things with long ears!

* Note: The plant is from the Mallow family, specifically Scarlet, Apricot, or Copper Globemallow (Sphaeralcea coccinea). It was used by a number of Native American tribes for everything from ceremonial use to poultices, teas and tonics (see here). It also curls your hair!

Update (May 17): No, your eyes do not deceive you. This posting has just been abbreviated from its original form. I decided it was best if I just stuck with the wildlife. And, lo and behold, just as I wrote that sentence, a real-life roadrunner - the New Mexican state bird - ran around the corner of my house not more than 12 feet from me. He was too fast for my camera but if he drops by again I'll add him here. By the way, according to the Wiki article, the Hopi and Pueblo Indian tribes believed that the roadrunner provided protection against evil spirits, while the Anglo frontier people believed roadrunners led lost people to trails.





4 comments:

  1. I love those drawings! They look like cells with extra messages in them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, sweets. They're very soft and spiritual but don't translate well into web images. Hah, but, yeah, especially the Unit 1 drawings look like something from the Museum of Natural History.

      Delete
  2. Well..rabbits mean luck, don't they? Perhaps change is in the air.

    And yes..the drawings are very spiritual. A reflection of inner dimensions.

    Your interlude posts are always interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, rabbit's feet supposedly bring luck... when hanging off a key-chain! Not too lucky for the rabbit though.

      I've always felt that the drawings reflected something transpersonal.

      Thanks, BG!


      Delete